Sunday, February 10, 2008

OLVERA STREET

Olvera Street was my first stop in my quest to rediscover Los Angeles. I haven't been to Olvera Street in a very long time and I thorougly enjoyed my little outing. Olvera Street is a Mexican marketplace and a popular little spot in L.A. It's located across from Union Station (the train station) and the original main post office. It was just as I expected it to be, lively and crowded. The original pueblo was built in 1741 by the forty-four settlers of Los Angeles and is also known as El Pueblo Historic Monument. For more of the history of Olvera Street click here. If you're looking for authentic Mexican food, wares and a taste of history, the famous Olvera Street is the place to go. It is only one block long but is lined with authentic Mexican wares, restaurants and cafes. In addition to the authentic wares you can also find souvenirs, toys for the kids, leather purses for as low as $20. Be entertained on the weekend by mariachis and bollero musicians. If you're interested in visiting Olvera Street I suggest checking out their link for a map, directions and possible fiestas and events like Cinco de Mayo. Here is a slideshow to show you a little of what to expect.



No comments: